Unless you’ve been hiding from the IRS (well at least 53% of you since the other 47% don’t pay taxes<–RomneyISM), you’ve had no choice but to hear ole Mitt insert his foot in his mouth once again.
It’s not even the asinine comments that have me in an uproar, it’s that he is allowed to speak in a public and private setting to a group of his peers. So I guess the GOP didn’t learn from the political tragedy in 2008 formerly known as Sarah Palin?
I mean first there was this …
“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what,” Romney says in one clip first posted on Monday afternoon. “There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing.”
And then there was this….
“The president’s view is one of larger government,” Romney said. “There’s a tape that came out today where the president’s saying he likes redistribution. I disagree. I think a society based upon a government centered nation where government plays a larger and larger role, redistributes money, that’s the wrong course for America, that will not build a stronger America, or help people out of poverty.”
I’m all about putting people to work and making sure they aren’t just sitting on the couch waiting to go to the mailbox on the first of every month. But truth be told, there are a lot of hard-working people who have paid taxes every year up until the moment they were laid off. Are those the people who Romney feels are just crying victim and waiting on another government bail out?
Do you think either of the families he was suggesting wouldn’t vote for him looked like anyone in the above photo?
Well, let’s do some fact checking and see who Mitt Romney was actually referring to, shall we?
As reported on CNN.com:
– As of June 2011, 49% of Americans received some sort of financial support from the government, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. So that figure has some basis in fact.
– But the number includes more than just people receiving anti-poverty assistance. It also includes Social Security and Medicare, the federal pension and health care programs for seniors — programs that are funded by workers’ payroll taxes and aren’t typically associated with concerns about dependency. It also includes other benefits, such as worker’s compensation or educational assistance for veterans.
– The number of people who qualify for “means-tested” benefits, which require applicants to have incomes below a certain level, was 35.1%, according to the Census Bureau.
– By comparison, when the already-slumping U.S. economy began to nosedive in September 2008, about 24% of U.S. households received means-tested benefits such as welfare or food stamps, according to Census Bureau figures. An April report from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office report found that roughly one in seven Americans received food stamps — now called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program — compared with about one out of 11 in 2007.
As reported on AJC.com:
A July 2011 analysis by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center found 44 percent of those who do not pay income taxes got tax breaks for the elderly on such things as Social Security benefits. Another 30 percent used tax credits for children and the working poor such as the child tax credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Georgia closely mirrors the national trend. A 2010 study by the nonpartisan Tax Foundation found that 41 percent of Georgians don’t pay income taxes, the second highest percentage in the country, behind Mississippi. The foundation found higher percentages in states that tend to vote Republican.
So Based on the above data, if you’re elderly, a veteran looking for educational benefits, or hurt your back WHILE WORKING, then you more than likely will not vote for Romney. Except of course if you live in Georgia, the state that has 41% opting out of paying taxes.
Hmmmm….Based on the AJC.com data, I wonder will the people in Georgia swing right this election when it may help them more to swing left according to their OWN Republican Presidential Candidate.
Being that you have the current Commander in Chief leaving comments like this in the media: “My expectation is that if you want to be president, you have to work for everyone, not just for some…” how can you not vote for the guy who wants to help everyone instead of only 53% of the country?
I don’t care what political party you represent, you can’t believe that Mitt Romney is what this country needs.
People, if you don’t do anything else for the rest of the year, please vote! It’s not just a right, it’s your duty as a law-abiding citizen of the U.S. OF A!
Not sure if you’re a registered voter, click here to find out!